School Admin comes up with unique graduation experience for Class of 2020
Additional Mountain Home High School Graduate Celebration!!
Mountain Home High School has been fortunate to create a plan and procedure to distribute diplomas in a way that will be unique and memorable for our graduates. Graduates will have the opportunity to walk across a stage wearing their caps and gowns to accept their diplomas. With everyone’s cooperation, we can do this in an efficient and respectful manner while working within CDC guidelines.
This plan and its procedures have been approved with the expectation that our graduates and their family members adhere to the procedures listed below. This will ensure that everyone is following proper social distancing and avoiding gatherings on school property. Once again, we are very fortunate to be pulling this off and the staff have spent a lot of time and effort to deliver something special for our graduates. Please do not let selfish actions ruin this event for the other graduates and their families. This is intended to be a once-in-a-lifetime event and we want to ensure that everyone does their part in making sure it will always be remembered as a positive affair.
Diploma Distribution Procedure:
MHHS will distribute diplomas on May 23rd. One half of the graduates will be scheduled from 10:00am-12:30pm & the second half will be scheduled from 2:00pm-4:30pm.
Alphabet with the last names that start with A-K will be scheduled for the 10:00am-12:30pm time slot. Alphabet with the last names that start with L-Z will be scheduled for the 2:00pm-4:30pm time slot.
Graduate/family is limited to ONE car. No spectators or other vehicles will be permitted.
Graduate/family vehicle will follow these steps to reach the staging area:
1. Each vehicle will check-in/stage in the south parking lot at Tiger Field at the Junior High (See Pictures for Reference).
2. Event Staff will be located near each entrance of the parking lot at Tiger Field to check in graduates and ensure we have all of the correct information.
3. Event Staff will get vehicles lined out and ready to travel over to Tiger Alley at MHHS.
4. When vehicles/graduates leave Tiger Field, they will take a right on E 6th St and then a right on S 14th E St. Vehicles will then take a left on E 4th St (Tiger Alley). There will be staff members to guide and help vehicles the entire way to Tiger Alley.
5. Vehicles will then stage throughout Tiger Alley and wait their turn to accept diplomas.
6. As graduates’ pass-through Tiger Alley, teachers and staff will be invited to line the sidewalks of Tiger Alley to say their good-byes and cheer on our 2020 Seniors!
After graduates pass through Tiger Alley and reach the end, their name will be announced on a sound system and they will receive their diplomas from Mr. Gunderson, Mrs. Ward, and Mr. Cotton at the end of Tiger Alley.
After receiving their diploma, graduates will be directed to take a right on S 11th E. There will be 3 different stages set up in front of the school and there will be staff members there to assist with each vehicle. Students will be able to walk across the stage in their caps and gowns. They will then ceremoniously move their tassel from the right side of their cap to the left. Parents will have a few moments to take pictures of their graduate. Teachers will also be on the sidewalk at S 11th E to cheer on graduates as they walk the 3 stages.
Please note that loitering and or gathering among graduates and families is prohibited.
Cap and Gown Policy
Cap and Gown Requirements:
• Students WILL NOT be allowed to participate in crossing the stage without a cap and gown.
• Gown decorations are not allowed.
• Cap decorating: MHHS normally does not allow cap decorations but considering this unique circumstance, we are going to allow some decorating with guidelines. Please take into consideration the following rules when decorating your graduation cap. Graduates who fail to follow these rules will not be able to walk the stage. We will have blank caps on hand if decorated caps do not comply with the following:
• Decorations cannot contain any advertisement, symbols, abbreviations, initials, words, slogans, patches, or pictures that: Refer to drugs or controlled substances, tobacco, alcohol, or weapons or be of a sexual nature.
• Decorations cannot denote an affiliation with gangs or which advocate drug use, violence, illegal activity, or disruptive behavior which is detrimental to the safety and welfare of other students.
• Decorations cannot be obscene, profane, vulgar, or lewd.
• Decorations cannot include numbers other than the graduation year.
• Decorations cannot threaten the safety and welfare of any person.
• Only the flat, top area of the mortar board may be decorated. There may be nothing hanging down from any of the sides of the cap.
• Decorations must be flat on the surface of the cap. 3-D creations are prohibited.
We are excited to celebrate the Mountain Home High School Class of 2020 with a unique graduation experience and we hope this will be special and memorable for everyone! We look forward to seeing the graduates on May 23rd!