Preliminary hearing set for man held in arson, burglary case

Wednesday, February 6, 2013

A Mountain Home man will return to court later this week to face felony charges regarding a break-in and attempted arson at Paul's Market.

A preliminary hearing for James D. Greenfield, 25, is scheduled for 1 p.m. Friday at the county courthouse.

Greenfield stands accused of breaking into the local grocery store the morning of Jan. 27 and setting at least four small fires inside the building.

Security cameras in the store captured images of the alleged suspect at the time of the crimes. Greenfield surrendered to police later that day, stating he was the "person of interest" in these images.

He remains in confinement at the county jail after Judge David Epis set his bond at $100,000 during an earlier court appearance. He faces felony charges of first-degree arson, burglary and malicious injury to property.

Testimony during Friday's preliminary hearing will determine if sufficient evidence exists to bond him over to district court on each of the felony counts.

Police officers and firefighters responded to the local grocery store at the corner of South 2nd East and East Jackson streets just before 2 a.m. Jan. 27. According to a police statement, a store employee reported that the glass entrance door was broken out.

There was smoke coming from inside the store as officers arrived on scene. Officers entered the store and determined no one was inside.

From the time they arrived on scene, it took firefighters about six minutes to extinguish the four fires intentionally set inside the building. Materials inside the store were apparently used to start the fires, according to fire department spokesman Bud Corbus.

At least one blaze was started by the bakery department with others located near the front registers and the rear of the store.

In addition to the smoke and broken front door, there was significant damage to merchandise and equipment around the customer service area. The display cases in the store's deli and bakery departments were also shattered during the crime.

During initial questioning, Greenfield allegedly told police investigators that he was intoxicated at the time of the incident, according to Police Sgt. Rick Viola, a spokesman with the city police department.

Store managers had not reported to police whether anything was taken from the local business during the incident, Viola added.

First-degree arson carries with it a maximum sentence of 25 years in prison and a fine of up to $100,000. Burglary is punishable by one to 10 years in the state prison. Felony charges of malicious injury to property include a minimum of one year in prison not to exceed five years in confinement along with a fine of up to $1,000.

View 7 comments
Note: The nature of the Internet makes it impractical for our staff to review every comment. Please note that those who post comments on this website may do so using a screen name, which may or may not reflect a website user's actual name. Readers should be careful not to assign comments to real people who may have names similar to screen names. Refrain from obscenity in your comments, and to keep discussions civil, don't say anything in a way your grandmother would be ashamed to read.
  • So the officers arrived on scene searched the store and called the fire department to put out the small fires. Why not grab a fire extinguisher and put the fires out. How much more damage occurred while waiting for the firefighters. Please don't say they were securing the scene while they let the scene burn up.

    -- Posted by gmoney on Fri, Feb 8, 2013, at 1:34 PM
  • *

    Your an idiot!

    -- Posted by MtnHmResident on Mon, Feb 11, 2013, at 3:12 AM
  • *

    OK let me rephrase that just a bit. YOU are not an idiot, the whole idea that it is insane to secure the scene to ensure safety of yourself and that of your fellow firefighters. After all law enforcement is specifically trained to do just that, ensure that the scene is safe for anyone else that may enter. Firefighters are specifically trained to fight fires. That is what they each do. It is so easy to judge what others do, remember do not judge lest you be judged. It is much harder to do the more decent thing and praise even the smallest bit. I guess some people are satisfied with chewing on the misfortunes of others.

    -- Posted by MtnHmResident on Mon, Feb 11, 2013, at 3:28 AM
  • As a former first responder, after I secured the scene I would have put the small fires out with a fire extinguisher not wait until the fires grew out of control, which is what could have happened. I am making my comments based on the newspaper article of the chain of events. And from what I read the police did not attempt to control or minimize fire damage. If that makes me an Idiot then so be it.

    -- Posted by gmoney on Tue, Feb 12, 2013, at 4:43 PM
  • *

    Well Then I am sure that you will agree with me that since this is an ongoing investigation not all information will be reported to the public. The article states, "From the time they arrived on scene, it took firefighters about six minutes to extinguish the four fires intentionally set inside the building. Materials inside the store were apparently used to start the fires, according to fire department spokesman Bud Corbus." Now in six minutes do you think that the officers that responded had time to thoroughly secure the building and then put out the fires before the firefighters arrived. I appreciate you as a former first responder and I appreciate all first responders, but don't take anything away from someone just because it doesn't specifically outline everything they did.

    I don't know you and I am not trying to be degrading just don't care for making speculative comments without all the facts. Unless we were there we will never know exactly what took place, they are trained professionals give them at least that respect.


    -- Posted by MtnHmResident on Wed, Feb 13, 2013, at 1:12 AM
  • Same goes to you "gmoney"... Don't talk garbage about people that could save your life someday. You weren't there.. so you don't know.

    -- Posted by ashleycorbus on Wed, Feb 13, 2013, at 9:18 AM
  • Read the article! The firefighters took 6 minutes to put out the fire after they arrived on scene. My point is the police could have put the fire out instead of watching them burn and build for 20 minutes waiting for the firefighters to respond.

    Ashley, ??????'s first comment applies to you.

    -- Posted by gmoney on Sat, Feb 16, 2013, at 1:07 PM
Respond to this story

Posting a comment requires free registration: