George Evans

Monday, August 15, 2011
George Evans

George P. Evans a long-time Mountain Home resident, passed away on Wednesday Aug. 10, 2011. He was 76 years old. George was born to Chester and Viola Evans on Jan. 17, 1935, in Kansas City, Mo., and attended Northeast Junior and Senior High School.

In August 1954, George enlisted into the U.S. Army. Upon completing his basic training, George honored the great nation by serving abroad in Germany and the United Kingdom.

While in Germany he was blessed in meeting his lifelong companion, Elfriede Roos who was born in Sabangen, District Osterode, and married her on Jan. 7, 1958, in Augsburg, Germany.

In 1959, George was discharged from the Army and returned home with his wife to Kansas City, Mo., where he gained employment at the Yellow Cab Company, Montgomery Wards, and worked as a mechanic at several local service stations. Even though George had to face employment hardship due to economic downfall, George always kept a positive outlook in life and always provided for his family.

In 1961, George re-enlisted into the military, this time with the U.S. Air Force, where he proudly served until his retirement on Nov. 1, 1977, at Mountain Home Air Force Base. George was trained as an air traffic control radar repairman technician and was recognized for his technical knowledge, initiative, determination, leadership skills and strong work ethic, which enabled him to isolate and repair the most difficult equipment and often succeed where others had failed.

One of the most commendable achievement's of George was during his deployment in Korea. George single-handedly completed a difficult assignment, which resulted in project completion six days ahead of schedule.

Due to his technical knowledge and ability he was often used as trainer for new recruits, which later resulted in a lead supervisor position.

George and Elfriede moved to Mountain Home in 1975 with their two daughters, Anna and Caroline, whom they adopted while stationed in the Philippines and Arizona.

George provided a strong foundation in raising his children and worked hard to provide for his family. Every parent has wished and worked for a better future for their children, George has been blessed with both daughters completing secondary and college education. Anna Marie graduated from Mountain Home High School (1985) attended Idaho State University and currently resides in Mountain Home. Caroline attended Boise High School (1988), graduated from the University of California Los Angeles (UCLA) and currently resides in Rosamond, Calif.

Upon retirement from the Air Force, George gained employment with the\ Mountain Home School District, where he worked as a custodian for 20 years at the high school from 1977 to 1997.

He attended Faith Lutheran Church for many years and was faithful, generous, and kind to acquaintances within and outside the congregation.

George always had an open heart for friendship and helping those less fortunate by being the provider of temporary food and shelter. He enjoyed socializing and playing games while sitting around the campfire in his backyard with his friends.

George's love for troubleshooting electronics, especially radios, was carried with him until his last day. He had a large collection of radios, which could be found on every shelf and in every corner of his home.

George is survived by his two daughters, Anna Starkweather-Pease of Mountain Home, Caroline Evans of Rosamond, Calif., and one grandson, Nicholas Robert Graves of Rosamond, Calif.

He was preceded in death by his wife, Elfriede Evans (1987), and both of his brothers, Chester Leroy Evans and Robert Evans.

The family would like to thank Dan, who resided with and cared for George; Nate and Hoppy Hopkins for their friendship; the Mountain Home Police Department, specifically Officer Dalton, Rost Funeral Home, Meals on Wheels, and all who have been fortunate to be his acquaintance.

George's ashes will be laid to rest at the Idaho State Veterans Cemetery at a later date. Per George's wishes, funeral services will not be conducted. In lieu of flowers, the family requests that George's kindness be carried on and "paid forward" to someone in need of assistance.

George's physical presence will be greatly missed but the memories that he has left his friends, family and loved ones will forever be cherished.