Arson suspected in fire that severely damages home on N. Haskett

Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Authorities are investigating what they believe to be an arson fire at a split-level home on North Haskett Street Saturday.

The home, owned by John and Yovetti Taitingfong, who live in Guam, has been unoccupied for several years and there is no power to the house, located at 1440 N. Haskett.

"We know kids have been breaking in and using it as a party house," said Fire Chief Phil Gridley, who added that a number of fingerprints have been recovered at the scene.

Arson investigators believe the fire was started in a downstairs bedroom where a pile of paper had been ignited. The fire caused a flashover in the bedroom, then worked its way up the stairwell into the living room area.

The fire itself caused extensive damage, and combined with smoke and water damage resulted in an estimated loss of about $40,000 to the home.

Fire crews were called out at 2:14 p.m. Saturday when dispatchers began receiving several calls of a house on fire with smoke pouring out of the roof.

The first fireman on the scene spotted a man laying on the ground, suffering from smoke inhalation. That individual, who is not a suspect in the fire, apparently had spotted the smoke and tried to enter the house to see if anyone was inside, but was driven out by the smoke.

Although police obtained a statement from the individual, he was not identified. He refused medical treatment and disappeared shortly thereafter.

Gridley said he hopes to be able to find the man "because he may have seen something" that would help authorities identify the arsonists.

A second witness to the blaze, the first man's companion, said the man had left without giving his name because he had a warrant out for him in another state.

Gridley said as soon as he arrived on the scene, "because I knew the history of the house (that it had been unoccupied) I told the guys to treat it as a suspicious fire."

Anyone with any information about the fire is urged to contact Det. Jeff Rhodes at the Mountain Home Police Department, 587-2101.

View 3 comments
Note: The nature of the Internet makes it impractical for our staff to review every comment. Please note that those who post comments on this website may do so using a screen name, which may or may not reflect a website user's actual name. Readers should be careful not to assign comments to real people who may have names similar to screen names. Refrain from obscenity in your comments, and to keep discussions civil, don't say anything in a way your grandmother would be ashamed to read.
  • "...Although police obtained a statement from the individual, he was not identified. He refused medical treatment and disappeared shortly thereafter..."

    You're kidding, right?

    -- Posted by BruceGibson on Wed, Dec 12, 2007, at 3:21 PM
  • The second witness to the blaze who is the first witness companion does'nt know the mans name but he knows his police background?Whats this?You're double kidding ,no doubt.

    -- Posted by Free from abusers on Thu, Dec 13, 2007, at 8:21 AM
  • free from abusers , read closer. it said that he said the person left w/o giving his name because he was wanted in another state , not that he himself did not personally know the persons name.

    -- Posted by just1 on Thu, Dec 13, 2007, at 8:27 PM
Respond to this story

Posting a comment requires free registration: