Banter Box: Proposed Parking Ordinance

Posted by Daniel Katsules - Reporter on Wed, Aug 1, 2018, at 10:20 AM:

What are your thoughts or questions pertaining to the proposed changes to the city's parking ordinance? Do you agree with Councilman Bundy and Schipani in saying that its possibly a government overreach? Or do you agree with Councilman Bryant and Brennan and believe that while a situation where someone is parking in front of your home for an extended period of time can often be resolved with a conversation, the city and the homeowner need to have some sort of power if the issue continues?

Replies (3)

Sorry but I do not think I "own" the public street in front of my house. Unless I am off, my property line ends at the curb. I get that it could be a bother if someone is parked in front of my house and I have visitors that have to park farther away but it is what it is. Now if it is an junky looking vehicle or one that is not registered, that is totally different. Or if it hinders access to my driveway, then we have an issue.

-- Posted by B Mullen on Wed, Aug 1, 2018, at 5:05 PM
  • Time out. Can we have a reality check? Let's first start allowing MHPD to enforce current parking violations. We have a RV and trailer ordnance. That is never enforced unless someone complains. Even after the City stated they'd begin enforcing it. Patrols drive by trailers left in spots for days if not weeks at a time. I don't blame the patrol officer or the PD leadership. I blame the ones who make these claims and than don't make sure that it's followed up by their own PD. Now once again the City has turned something simple to resolve into a mess.

A simple ordnance can be passed. NO vehicle may remain parked in the same spot for more than 72 hours. At which time it must be moved no less than 300 feet from either side of the street for no less than a month. It really is quite simple. The curb is not a private parking spot for anyone. It's a means of egress for the temporary purpose of loading and unloading. Over nite parking, etc. But it is not a parking lot. Unless you want to meter it. Good grief!

Let's focus on real issues. Like speeding in residential zones throughout the city. Residential streets now being used as thorough fares because folks know unlike American Legion, they won't get popped doing 40 mph when running late to work in the morning.

Let's focus on priorities!

-- Posted by Big56 on Wed, Aug 1, 2018, at 9:18 PM
  • First off, I appreciate the input, so thank you. City Council did say that even if they do pass the ordinance, it will be more of a complaint driven process than officers driving around and writing tickets. The council all seem to agree that an issue such as this can often be resolved with a conversation with the other party, but it was said that there have been occasions where that conversation does not resolve the issue. That's when the ordinance would be enforced. Those on the council in favor of the ordinance felt as though the new ordinance would give more power to the homeowner in situations where neighbors could not resolve the issue. As for the trailer and RV ordinance, I will check with City Hall or the Mayor and ask if it is supposed to be the same process.

Big56, I agree that speeding in residential zones is a problem. I myself have 3 children, two of whom often walk to and from school and to their friends home. I've lost count how many times I've thrown my hands in the air in attempts to get a driver's attention that is going well over the speed limit. I will also bring this topic to the mayor and city council when they next meet on the 13th.

If you have any more questions or concerns about the ordinance, please to not hesitate to contact me at the office by phone at 208-587-3331 or by email reporter@mountainhomenews.com

-- Posted by Daniel Katsules - Reporter on Thu, Aug 2, 2018, at 9:22 AM

Respond to this thread

Posting a comment requires free registration: