Banter Box: WECRD Pool Plans

Posted by Daniel Katsules - Reporter on Wed, Jul 25, 2018, at 10:29 AM:

What are your thoughts about the Rec Districts plans to move forward with a structure for a pool first rather than a recreation building? What about the idea to build one pool at a time instead of both at the same time? Do you feel the WECRD will follow through with their plans to build a recreation building with the limited space on the lot?

Replies (6)

• Just read the article in the paper pertaining to this pig in a poke. Seems anything worth building is not financially feasible. Why is everyone who sits on that committee so stuck on needing a pool. That's been hashed out now for 16 years and still isn't a good plan. Every building they consider is always having meeting rooms of some sort. What do meetings have to do with rec? Cut that nonsense out and drop the cost considerably. WECRD has become too boring to contend with anymore. Just a job for a half dozen people.

-- Posted by goatbeard on Wed, Jul 25, 2018, at 2:59 PM
  • Thank you for your input! I will be attending the districts weekly meeting tonight and bring these questions to them and will have an update here tomorrow morning. Have a great evening!

-- Posted by Daniel Katsules - Reporter on Wed, Jul 25, 2018, at 3:51 PM
  • At the WECRD meeting last night I addressed your questions to the board and they informed me that the "meeting rooms" or "multi-purpose rooms" that are in the current pool designs would be used to other activities that are currently being held at the WECRD offices. The rooms would also be available to rent out for parties and other swim teams would be able to rent the space out, generating revenue for the Rec District.

-- Posted by Daniel Katsules - Reporter on Thu, Jul 26, 2018, at 9:45 AM
  • Thank you for looking into that item. Seems the whole shebang is in trouble before it starts though. The financial aspect of that idea has never been seen in a good light. The original cost and upkeep is said to be a red herring. WECRD should be self sustainable without large fees and city backup.

-- Posted by goatbeard on Thu, Jul 26, 2018, at 5:53 PM

How many times does it need to be proven that a pool is VERY expensive to maintain? This has been beat to death over and over during the past 16 years and every time the result is the same. It is not cost effective to have a pool but here it is being forced down taxpayers throats again. Sure which I could opt out of paying for this fiscal blackhole.

-- Posted by B Mullen on Fri, Jul 27, 2018, at 5:52 PM
  • It is nice to see someone that also has done their homework concerning a community pool. The military community has an excellent pool available to them at NO CHARGE. I have talked on several occasions with City of Mountain Home officials about the expense of operating a pool for less than three months out of the year, which does not come close to breaking even. I don't understand how the WECRD thinks the community can support a pool when everything tells them it is not affordable. I wonder if people think that they will be able to use the pool based on just their taxes. Don't they know that there will need to be user fees as well? The information that comes out of the WECRD meetings always seems to be smoke and mirrors and full of holes. It would be nice to get the whole truth and nothing but the truth out of the WECRD. Just so you know I have voted NO all the way along on this money pit, but I have studied the REC District and know based on the numbers that it can not be supported.

-- Posted by Albert Clement on Fri, Jul 27, 2018, at 9:02 PM

Respond to this thread

Posting a comment requires free registration: