Voting RodeoPosted Thursday, May 20, 2010, at 12:09 AM
Is The Sky Really Falling?
1. I worry about those in charge of finances for the MHSD. This problem did not come up over night. Why are we acting like it just came up? Rely less on state funding. Work with what you have.
2. A roof lasts 15-20 years at best. The MHSD had 15-20 years to save for a new roof for the MHHS. Why was this expense such a shock/surprise? Those of us who own homes do preventative maintenance and repairs. Why is this expense such a shock to those in charge? It did not go bad over night---it went bad over time.
3. The MHSD Board voted to replace the remaining portion of the roof at the MHHS yet it was stated they may not have payroll for June. So, once again...where has all of the money gone? Why did the powers that be not see this?
4. How can the MHSD have finance people that are so out of touch? How does throwing these people more money solve the problem? How does this help the current situation? State funding will not go back to what it was. So, where/what are we going to cut? What are the long term goals of the MHSD to stand on their own two feet?
5. Have the finance people who work for the school district had their pay cut as well or is this is a situation much like AIG?
More/higher taxes are not the answer. We need to reduce spending and formulate a budget---an actual budget--- and stick to it. Cuts will need to be made unless the fine people of Mountain Home plan to fund over spending way into the future. In the real world, we live on budgets and try to spend accordingly. You may want chicken but Hamburger Helper is what is in the budget here.
This issue really is NOT about NOT wanting to support the kids. Most of us on here agree that education is very-very important. Teachers are very-very important. However, there needs to be accountabilty for the mess we are in. Somebody got us here but nobody will fall on their sword. Many of us on this forum said we were headed for really hard times and needed cuts as opposed to more spending. Where is the accountability in all of this mess? This budget problem did not just "pop" up. How does voting for this levy SOLVE the problem at hand---more going out than has come/will come in? What is the long term solution? No matter what, cuts will need to be made. What are we willing to live without? That is the 5.6 million dollar question. Live as if state funding will be cut another 25%. Think ahead. Plan.
Nobody likes what is going on but most of us are going through it. Many have faced job loss, pay cuts, etc. It is a tough time. If we are smart, we will make good choices and come out of this in better shape. If not, we are in for a really tough, long ride. Time will tell I guess.
Showing comments in chronological order
[Show most recent comments first]
- Blog RSS feed
- Comments RSS feed
- Send email to Tracy Lauric
I have lived in Mountain Home for over 11 years now. I love to be outdoors in wide open spaces (as long as it does not involve camping...in a tent and an out house). I dislike Government waste/abuse of tax dollars and "sky is the limit" spending by those that we elect to represent "us." I value free speech when what is stated is factual (as opposed to lies, gossip and un-truths). I love the Chicago White Sox (I never said I was perfect) and the Broncos are okay too! I am 38 years old and married to a guy who is active duty USAF (and a Cubs fan...he is the "perfect" one). I am anti-nuclear and against further desecration of our planet with waste that we can do little to nothing with. If you dislike blunt, this is not the blog for you. Enjoy!
Hot topicsThe Authorized Killing Of Americans By Drones
(89 ~ 7:34 AM, Mar 28)
A Tribute To My Friend, Joe Howard a/k/a "Eagle Eye"
Some Of My "Favorite" Political "Tools"
Guns Are To Blame? Any Reason To Disarm America!